Take in world-class performances from theaters and opera houses around the globe, shown on the Zlock Performing Arts Center’s large screen at Bucks County Community College, Newtown.
Imagine taking in Puccini’s La Bohème without traveling to a major city. Or watching the Paris Opera Ballet perform Swan Lake without jetting across the Atlantic. And seeing these amazing events free of charge. You can do just that and more by attending the new Cultural Streaming Series, launched this month as part of Bucks Live! at Bucks County Community College.
The series features recorded performances of leading classical artists, ensembles and orchestras from around the world shown on the large screen in the Zlock Performing Arts Center on the Newtown campus.
“The Cultural Streaming Series adds diversity to our programing through the many mediums in the fine arts realm, in a very affordable and relaxed atmosphere,” said Peter Chiovarou, director of community programming and college events at Bucks. “It furthers our mission to enrich, educate and entertain our students and members of the surrounding Bucks County community.”
Each performance is screened at 12:15 p.m. and 7 p.m. on most Thursdays through May 9. Although admission is free and open to the public, online reservations are requested at www.bucks.edu/tickets.
The Cultural Streaming Series features the following:
- February 14 – Leeds International Piano Competition 2018 finals. Running time: 90 minutes.
- February 21 – Puccini’s La Bohème opera in four acts. Running time: 120 minutes.
- March 7 – Leonard Bernstein: Larger Than Life. Running time: 52 minutes.
- March 14 – Swan Lake by Rudolf Nureyev, performed by the Paris Opera Ballet. Running time: 140 minutes.
- March 21 – Pianist Yuja Wang performs Schubert, Schumann, and Scriabin. Running time: 90 minutes.
- April 4 – Vivaldi Recomposed – German contemporary composer Max Richter performs The Four Seasons reimagined for the 21st century. Running time: 43 minutes.
- April 18 – Piano duet with Martha Agerich and Daniel Barenoim performing Mozart, Schubert, and Stravinsky. Running time: 80 minutes.
- April 25 – Pianist Khatia Buniatishvili plays Liszt, Chopin, Prokofiev, and Stravinsky. Running time: 70 minutes.
- May 9 – Gustavo Dudamel conducts Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 with the Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuala at Barcelona’s Palau de la Musica. Running time: 70 minutes.
The Cultural Streaming Series takes place in the Zlock Performing Arts Center, located inside the Gateway Center on the campus at 275 Swamp Rd., Newtown, Pa., where there is ample free parking. The theater is equipped with audio-loop technology for the hearing impaired.
It’s part of Bucks Live!, a series of innovative programs to inform, inspire, and enrich the life of greater Bucks County, brought to you by Bucks County Community College’s Cultural Affairs Committee. To learn more, visit www.bucks.edu/tickets or call the box office at 215-968-8469.