by Merry M
This article is presented by:
ShopRite of Yardley is a state-of-the-art grocery store in Oxford Oaks Shopping Center. Three hundred well prepared associates are ready to serve you as you shop aisles filled with the freshest varieties of produce, meat and seafood. In addition to offering the convenience of online shopping options, the 57,000-square-foot ShopRite of Yardley was designed with convenience in mind, even offering on-site childcare for children ages 3 to 8 for up to 90 minutes! Follow them on Facebook for the latest tips and specials.
Impress your Valentine’s Day date with a homemade feast worthy of a five start restaurant. How does Shrimp De Jonghe and Petite Filet Mignon paired with a light salad, and side dishes of your choice sound? If it sounds like something your significant other will go crazy over, you might be surprised to learn it’s really not that hard to prepare. And the best part about this Valentine’s Day gift is that you not only get delicious food, but you get to relax at home alone for a little added romance.
No Stress Preparations for a Fantastic Dinner In
Preparing for such an extravagant meal doesn’t need to be difficult. If you start with a detailed shopping list, it’s easier to stay focused and organized. Once you’ve set your menu, go through each of the ingredients to make your list. If you’d like a special bit of ambiance for the occasion, add a new tablecloth, fresh flowers, and tapered candlesticks to create the perfect table.
Our sample menu includes Petit Filet Mignon, Shrimp De Jonghe, asparagus, risotto, and salad. For horderves – chilled kalamato olives, a light cheese, and fresh baked bread. The key is in preparing ahead of time so that you can enjoy your meal, rather than spending it working in the kitchen.
Things you can prepare in advance:
- Setting the table.
- Horderves. If you’re going with our list of horderves, cut the bread into serving size pieces and wrap them in your bread bowl. Olives and cheese can be placed on a platter and set in the refrigerator.
- Salad. Your salad can be assembled and placed in the fridge to chill.
Shrimp De Jonghe Recipe
This simple Shrimp De Jonghe is easy to make and very rich. You’ll need 1 stick of butter, Italian seasoned bread crumb, 1 pound of shrimp (cleaned and de-veined), dry white wine (You may use a white cooking wine or your favorite white).
1. Set the butter out to soften for 30 minutes to an hour. Add bread crumb (about 3/4 cup), and white wine (about 1/4 cup). Mix well. The mixture should be doughy in consistency. More bread crumb can be added if needed and, to increase moisture, add a splash more wine.
2. Take half the mixture and layer the bottom of your baking dish.
3. Layer your shrimp evenly over mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes, until shrimp are cooked.
5. Remove from oven. Spread the remainder of your mixture over the shrimp and mix well.
6. Put back in the oven and broil until the top is brown (only about 5 minutes).
The real trick is in timing your dishes. With the shrimp, you can complete all but the broiling process, and leave to the side. Then add the dish back to the oven to finish at the same time as your steak. Because you’re planning a romantic dinner, you don’t want to be in the kitchen the whole time. Plan all of your dishes to complete prior to dinner time. You can plate them in advance, and sit with your date to enjoy the horderves before serving.
Because you’re serving both shrimp and steak, your wine choice is really dependent on your taste. You might like a white wine to compliment the shrimp or a bolder red Bordeaux, which pairs wonderfully with filet mignon. Champagne is always an excellent choice for Valentine’s Day. You may even like to serve fresh strawberries for dessert with your drinks. Valentine’s day at home can be a fantastic celebration that you’ll both enjoy.